Thursday, June 30, 2011

Jenney Gover's Blog


Jenney’s Blog on Wimba


OH Wimba how I love thee! Thank goodness for archive!

My FAVORITE part was the literature discussion. Why?! Because I needed the most clarification on this (long long story), but this has been a HUGE frustration for me. So I'm SUPER thankful for this clarification FINALLY!

"lit rev is a survey [overview] of a lot of literature..."
"what did the world say about what I want to do?"

Broad spectrum - no list - not research paper
A dialogue that covers the spectrum of what you're researching.

Jen Geiger said during a conversation, "What would Diane Sawyer say about the literature?" which went along with the professor's analogy of a good talk show host!!! Where was this analogy eight months ago?! Super thankful for a fresh viewpoint to this process. Think the curtain is finally pulling away from the window. I can see daylight. Oh wait, those are street lights!

Professor Bustillo said, "hmm I had this question and I'm wondering what all these people said." So does that mean we can state the question in the introduction?

Second portion of very needed information: CBR!

I need to update the site and consistently throughout all pages. Update all pictures and videos. Basically fill in all pages that we have started thus far.

On the plan page I need to add how many participants were added. Update LR references page and the notes with the mind mapping.

Data data data...gotta put the data together and make a few statistics. Did you know that 86% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Abstract: 120 words or less! Descriptive...Haiku -- initial questions, lit review, methodology, results, conclusion...don't defend, not why i did it, but how.

(insert record scratch here) WHAT?! We are going to apply to present or be published?! I'm wondering who the collective "we" is in the "we weren't getting as big of a payoff as we could get or should get given the amount of work that you guys have already done." Because the "we" if that includes me would mean that my payoff of a raise, job advancement, etc could be sufficient for me and therfore my choice to then go into retirement would be my choice if I chose not to get published. I'm really caught off guard by this even though a peer mentioned it in a conversation last night after class (I watched archive today). In month 1 (and 2) it was stressed that we could if we wanted to, but we wouldn't be forced to publish even though we'd be fully prepared to publish if we so chose. The analogy that has become forefront for this process is "It's all fluid"(always changing) in this Alice in Wonderland world.

I guess I now know what a fish feels like when I'm fishing. Oh this pretty lady is providing me with food, how nice is that?! "Swim little fishies over to my line." *gulp* Oh no! There's a hook! Swim away! Swim away! Nope, I'm snagged.

Response


LOL, I know what you mean…I was at the Wimba session and still I have to check the archive to recapture the class.  Although the Lit Review was well needed for clarification especially about the part on Abstract.  I have no clue how to do that so I pray it will not be a challenge for me.  The second part is my most concern.  While some of the class has the CBR the other portion is working on the AR, which would be me!  I thought I had a good AR blog, but after looking back at it I often wonder should I have done more?  Was it enough data, enough participants, enough video, and etc. those are constant question that run through my head? 

No comments:

Post a Comment