Sunday, July 3, 2011

Week 2 Comment to Elaine Scott




This eBook is right on time for where I am in my life at this very moment. As a musician with a passion for music, desire to excel, with the ability to love what others do and learn from them, this book was meant for me to read. The mission of the book seems to be about creating values and direction for others. I love the metaphors of music and arts Zanders used to describe life and how we deal or don’t deal with it.

I have lived “out of the boat”. I had allowed life and others to not only get me off track but as the authors stated, I didn’t even know where the track was anymore. Truth is I am just now finding my way back. I would not have thought to think of this life I live as an invention that I could change. Sure I knew all the clichés about “working hard”, “never giving up”, “hanging in there”, and “if it won’t kill you it will make you stronger.” Hell then I outta be SuperWoman by now! But to think in terms of “it’s all invented” makes sense to me. I am already doing it. The moment I decided to start my Masters after losing my job and house I re-invented my wheel to turn into another pathway. Sure I didn’t know if it would work or if the wheel would take me anywhere but I made the wheel anyway and here I am riding a month before the finish line of graduating with a Masters degree.

It is a difficult place for the mind to “define and confine” (p.14) our perceptions. I guess this is where the term “thinking outside the box” fits perfectly. So in my measurement of the world I set the goal to be in a better place than I was before and being at Full Sail University helps me strive towards that goal. In my Universe of Possibilities (p.21) I set the framework or maybe I have to change it, do the necessary actions it takes to succeed, change my mindset (I am still working on that), and let life and my Creator take care of the rest.

The Zanders described my entire philosophy on how I treat the people I meet in this world. As much as I am struggling to find my place in life and within myself I absolutely love supporting others to achieve and I make a point to give out all the 'A's" I can. I feel like the last of the Mohicans in that respect for most people today are so hard and unloving. Yes there was a time when it was okay to be more than cordial to a friend, co-worker, or even family member. You actually loved each other. Not so much today. People think I am crazy when I get too expressive. I don’t try to measure others I just respect and love them and hopefully, I get the same in return.

I don’t have much to give but what I do offer to others is my undying love, faith, blessings, kindness, and a smile - Sincerely. Sometimes it’s hard to do but in order for me to get where I am going without the guilt of walking over someone to get there. I find it easier to take a moment, stop, and just help them up. Oh sure, today you have to be cautious because there are people who may take advantage but with an open heart and both eyes wide open, kindness usually prevails over everything else. I had no plans on teaching and have never filled that position as a career. What I find myself doing as a contribution to this world is working with the at-risk youth and any young adult that wants to be better. I love them up and show them an old –fashion, traditional type of care and most times they listen and turn out all right.

Benjamin and Rosamund Zanders eloquently suggest in summary that if we just take the everyday challenges, step outside the box, give ourselves and others an ‘A’ in life, and keep a purposeful perception of how we deal with life we will always find ways to approach these challenges with a universe of possibilities.

Response
One of my famous lines I use is "I goin’ to be me and there is no one goin’ to make me feel bad for what I believe in!"  If I got a penny for every time someone steer me in the wrong direction I would be rich right now.  You are right! This book was not just a book to read for class, I considered it being a soul-searching book that helps you to re-think on how you pursue life.  Often we get off track of our goals and we do get blind-sided, but until we recognized we are responsible for our own actions there will be no growth in our life

No comments:

Post a Comment